"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (James 4 v 10)
Humility is something we all most strive to do deliberately ourselves. Nobody else can help you do it. Each of us have to make up our mind to do it. God is not going to do it for you. Your spouse or friend will not and cannot do it for you. It is a personal attitude that comes from the heart, that is contrite and a spirit that is broken.
"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, God thou will not despise." (Psalms 51 v 17)
Humility resides and only come from a broken spirit and a contrite heart. But if your spirit is not broken and your heart is not contrite, you can always ask God:
"Create in me a clean heart, God; and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalms 51 v 10)
This heart and spirit that I am talking about is such that was found in Jesus Christ.
"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 2 v 5)
Until you have this mind in you, you cannot be or put on the garment of humility. Jesus Christ was able to demonstrate this humility and is therefore our example. No matter what position you may occupy in life, it will never be as high and great as that of Jesus Christ, yet he humbled himself. The Bible says that Jesus Christ was an epitome and embodiment of humility even though he had opportunity or reasons to be proud and lofty.
"Who, being in the form of God, thought it's not robbery (not cheating) to be equal with God; But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." (Philippians 2 v 6-8)
The Bible clearly shows that humility was a deliberate attitude and lifestyle of Jesus Christ. He was not forced, but chose by himself, to be humble. He made position, power and all things to lose value in His sight. You can do the same and be free from the perils of pride.
What Is Humility?
Humility is a word commonly used, but not well understood by many. And as a result, many people have difficulty in living by and in humility. Humility have to do with various attitudes we portray through the spirit that works in you. To be humble is:-
1. To be obedient.
2. To put on the form of a servant, even though you are a leader.
3. To take no offence when you are not given reverence or called by your title.
4. To count others better than yourself.
5. To take correction and counsel not minding the status or personality of who is giving the counsel.
6. To be teachable ready to learn from anybody.
7. Not to be in competition with anybody, but complementing the efforts of others.
8. To be dependent on God. Make God your sufficinecy and confidence.
9. Not to take glory and praise of anything, especially that which belongs to God.
10. Not to seek for men's praise.
11. Not to look down on anybody or despise the grace of God upon others, but to rate every one high in your heart and respect the grace of God upon others.
12. To appreciate the gift, person and status of others.
Benefits Of Humility
1. It secures your name and reputation.
2. It brings you exaltation.
3. It gives you access to the grace of God.
4. It gives you honour.
5. It gives you wisdom.
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."